Why can I not write?

















Writer's block are very common to the writers. There are known remedies, mainly thinking and jotting down what you think brings back the writer in you to business. Now, knowing the remedy and knowing that it is such an easy thing to do, you plan to think. Thinking and thinking and thinking all the time. That's become the writer's new state. So, thinking becomes the new habit. Jotting them down, again remains far from reality. At least that is what happens to me regularly. I am the kind of man, who loves to think, imagine things, sometimes methodically deduce something but writing becomes and remains a very hard laborious task for me as it was.

Actually, writing is the real good habit that any aspiring writer should love to adopt. Again, for writing something one should read a lot. Mainly for writing stories you need to read a lot of stories yourself. Mostly works of writers who proved their excellence in story writing in the course of time, and the works, which are indeed became timeless classics. To name a few, for writing short stories, one may read the works of Guy De Maupassant, O.Henry, Anton Checkov,Nikolai Gogol, Leo Tolstoy, Ernest Hamingway, Edgar Allan Poe, Agatha Christie, Arthur Conan Doyle, as I have read and still reading. I was going to leave the list of best seller authors of all times behind, here is the list .

Again, I have left the names of Bengali authors, like Kabiguru (Preceptor) Rabindranath Tagore, Bankim Chandra Chattopadhyay, Sarat Chandra Chattopadhyay, Tarasankar Bandopadhyay, Bibhuti Bhushan Bandopadhyay, Saradindu Bandopadhyay, Bimal Mitra, Premendra Mitra to latest writers like Sanjeeb Chattopadhyay, Samaresh Basu, Samaresh Majumdar, Shirshendu Mukhopadhyay, Ramapada Chowdhury, Syed Mustafa Siraj, Budhadeb Guha, Narayan Sanyal, Sunil Gangopadhyay, Satyajit Ray, Joy Goswami, Suchitra Bhattacharya, Bani Basu, and many more.

I get totally carried away while reading their works and get so preoccupied enjoying the style, the picturesque, dramatic narration that, ultimately I end up reading and not writing.

Actually a good time management is always the driving skill in all your ventures. True, in the case of creative writing. Thinking, writing and reading should go together hands in hands and that's where I always fail. And that's why there are so less amount of short stories irregularly posted in my blog GolporKhata.

5 comments:

me_amitava said...

I too had gone through such a phase, when I was not being able to pen down anything. It was not that, I was not thinking or not viewing at the neighborhood for topics of my posts, but somehow it did not happen. the remedy which worked for me, was - i shut out myself from writing and even thinking about writing for a week. After that, I made a fresh start to it and returned to writing smoothly. May be the same might work for you.

Shankha said...

@me_amitava: Thanks for your own views and comment. A lazy man like me, need not "try" to refrain from writing. I automatically tend to do such things. I refrain from thinking about even "I could write". Still, that worsens the situation.

Actually, my ever contradicting mental setup pushes me to think - start - and write a bit on many short stories - but finally I cannot end them up. ;-)

Mr. Pramathesh said...

My friend says that Writer's Block is heights of laziness where no amount of inspirations makes you write.

island of peace said...

Very true. These days i am running out of time. it seems so are you. i dont see your posts much.

Shankha said...

@Mr. Pramathesh: You friend is absolutely right! : - )

@island of peace: Same with me, true. But, I am determined to write some short stories again, and will write at least one in this month. You have become irregular too.

Post a Comment

Hi!
Will be glad to know your honest views. That is invaluable for me.

Thanks a lot for visiting my blog.

Regards,
Shankha